Read about cactus a perennial plant type. It is a
well known as an indoor plant type and also for its low-maintenance.
Cactus Plant Care
Another perennial plant type that is quite famous all
over the world is cactus. Cacti are also known as low maintenance
plants. It is the best indoor plant type, as they require
little attention for their healthy growth. There is a wide variety of
shapes, sizes and color of cactus. Cacti are called as perennial plants
because they will be growing year after year.
Cactus plant care
- Cactus should be placed under adequate sunlight.
- They should be sowed in pots having a good drainage system.
- Remove one inch of soil form the top. Replace it with gravel.
- The soil should be a mixture of sand, peat and perlite.
- Cactus growing vertically should be sowed in container whose
diameter is half the height of the plant.
- Cacti that are growing breadth wise should be grown on
containers, which are having 2 inches of diameter extra than the
- Recently sowed or repotted plants have more chances of getting
- The soil should be dry enough while the sowing or repotting is
been done. Watering should be done after a week so that the roots
are healed within the time.
Cactus grows very slowly. Some cactus takes a year to
germinate and to know how they look like it takes again some years. They
can breed through branches or from a part of the plant. The part of the
plant is removed from the main plant and dried for 2 weeks. After the
cut portion is healed then it is planted in shallow soil.
Cactus needs less watering so water them when they dry out. It is
better to use clay pots without any glaze, as it needs less water than
glazed or plastic pots.
Most of the cactus plant type requires a period for rest so that they
can flower the rest of the year. The exact time required for cactus
plant keeps varying but in general it is within three months. They are
quite friendly to the chill weather and during the winter they should be
watered less with no fertilizer application.